Subject: Re: [Leica] kids? leica? a stern reprimand from the PLUG
From: Cmrausr@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:43:02 EST

In a message dated 1/17/01 12:14:31 PM, john@pinkheadedbug.com writes:

>Sure, as usual I was speaking as someone who puts his bread on the table
>by
>other means. Most people would regard writing as the ultimate personal
>journey but for me it's largely about getting the job done well.

Johnny,

The fact that you are a writer, and visually literate as well is a good
thing. My favorite torture when I'm working with a new writer who is more
into himself and the words than working together toward  good visual and
verbal product is: "Here, you take the camera gear and I'll do the writing."
It usually makes the point. Of course, you'd call my bluff, and I'd be in
trouble, but it hasn't actually happened yet.

Good writing and good photography are very similar to me. One craft uses
language to create images in the mind, the other uses an optical and
mechanical interpretation of the physical world to do the same thing. With
words, the mind of each reader creates it's own unique image that probably
isn't the same as the author's. A photograph communicates a communal visual
image that different viewers can see in the same way, but like words,
interpret very differently.

Having both skills is a gift. Enjoy it. I certainly like what you have to say
on the LUG, and SP lists, as well as the quality of your photographic work.
Keep it up!

Scott Stewart