Subject: [Leica] 28mm F2 Summicron
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 08:22:54 -0800

Erwin;

Looking over the  lens test article in Leica Fotografie, January 2001, I
couldn't help but notice that the highlights in the background areas
were brighter with the 28mm F2.8. Seeing my work, and my friends',
constantly being butchered by the printer I realize that maybe I'm
looking at printer error. On the other hand what if I'm not, and that
those are the actual differences in practical performance. Since my
Leitz gear is predominantly used for B&W work, that's an extremely
important factor to consider. Since to me, this looks like not a
qualitative but a quantitative difference. That extra brilliance in the
F2.8, if I'm seeing it correctly, means a more pronounced shadow detail
capability in the earlier optic. I'm anxiously looking foreword to any
illuminating clarification of this perceptional little taffy.

Best,
 Slobodan Dimitrov