Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V19 #37
From: Heavysteam@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 06:53:09 EST

<<Or do I buy a Contax N1 with the 24-85 zoom.  Or do I  see if a Leica R zoom would satisfy these  requirements.  I am at a crossroads.
I still have a Contax G2 setup and an Aria with fixed
 focal length lens.>>

Henry, you need to stop buying stuff... you already have some of the finest camera systems in the world...  it's time to work on your technique.

You mention you have a Contax G2...   That's a probably the finest "point and shoot" camera system that money can buy, and it has autofocus too.    Perhaps that is a better choice when chasing active grandchildren than the Leica?

With the Leica, using a little faster film for smaller apertures will let you develop some street shooting skills.   Stick with a wider angle lens (if that is part of your kit) and use zone or hyperfocal focusing.   If you use hyperfocal technique, you can simply set the aperture and the corresponding hyperfocal distance on the lens and use the camera like a point and shoot.   You may also find some quieter moments where you can get the lens opened up and get some of that nice Leica bokeh.

You also need to practice your focusing skills.   Most people tend to focus a manual focus camera by bouncing the lens back and forth on either side of the correct focus until they are happy.   That isn't the best technique with a rangefinder camera, and it wastes time.   I should generally start at a closer focus point and move the lens out, and stop when the rangefinder image coincides. With a little practice this method is easy to duplicate every time and it helps keep mechanical errors from affecting your focus.    That can be very important if you have some of the faster Leica optics like Summilux lenses, which when opened up, have a very small depth of field which requires more precision when focusing.
Randy