Subject: [Leica] Speaking of trimming leaders...
From: Andrew Moore <dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 09:08:21 -0500 (EST)

Based upon the warnings I've heard about trimming leaders on the IIIf and
similar bodies, it's clear that the reason for doing this is to avoid
having bits of film break off and wedge themselves in the camera.

But more specifically: why does this happen?  Does anyone know what breaks
and why?

For nearly 20 years my technique for loading the IIIf involved removing
the lens, opening the curtain on the "T" shutter setting so the curtain
remained open, and guilding the leader into the proper position with my
fingers through the lens mount.

The entire leader was on the take-up spool before I even put the lens back
on.  I'm thinking that this is the reason that I never had problems,
because there was basically no leader left to get jammed by the time I was
ready to put the baseplate back on.

True?