Subject: Re: [Leica] 90mm recommendations: Apo-Lanthar question
From: "Phong" <phong@metrowerks.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 08:46:43 -0500

Rob McElroy <idag@pce.net> wrote:
>  The Apo-Lanthar lenses made by Voigtlander for large format cameras in the 50's and
>  60's, were some of the first lenses to make use of a highly-refractive rare-earth glass
>  called lanthanum which has a slightly warm/yellow color, which can be clearly seen if
>  you just pick up the lens and look through it.  It's actually quite pleasing.
> Like putting a very slight warming filter over your lens.

Rob,

Does the lens actually produce a yellow cast on the resulting pictures
(slides would be better)  ?
Or does it just look yellow when you look thru it ?  Thanks for any
clarification.
I have some Contax G lenses that have different color coatings (yellow in
some lenses, blue in some others), but cannot detect any difference
in the resulting color slides.

- - Phong

Replies: Reply from Rob McElroy <idag@pce.net> (Re: [Leica] 90mm recommendations: Apo-Lanthar question)