Subject: Re: [Leica] Gandy & Puts objectivity
From: Stephen Gandy <Stephen@CameraQuest.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 13:02:12 -0800

Paul Arnold wrote:

> Stephen Gandy wrote:
>
> > Well Erwin, it amazes me how maintain your objectivity  and even
> handedness,
> > when I see it as anything but when the subject turns to Leica.
> >
> In the post, Stephen, you make the point that Erwin should be working for
> Leica and you cast doubt on the objectivity of his posts.

True, but I was serious about Erwin being a good fit as a Leica employee
spokesman.   He could help Leica sell a lot of cameras and lenses, maybe an
"Erwin" day at Leica dealerships.

> My dog isn't in this fight, but I'd like to know if you are saying that the
> information which Erwin reports as facts are not accurate or, on the other
> hand, are you saying that Erwin's facts are generally correct but that his
> opinions based on those facts are biased toward Leica.

I feel most of my differences with Erwin are honest differences of opinion
that could be argued either way.   However if there are two sides to a Leica
question,  I do find it odd that I can't remember Erwin ever siding with
anything but a  viewpoint that would just happen to support the sales of new
Leica product (variations of its the newest, its the best),   while at the same
time claiming he is objective.   hmmm.

If the Country of Origin question is important, it might -- as Erwin suggested
- --  mean an increased demand for older M6, perhaps even to the detriment of new
M6 sales.  Consistent with his slant on Leica, Erwin maintains this question
unimportant, a stance which just happens to support new M6.   a coincidence ?
maybe, maybe not.

of course Erwin's writing have proven very popular with Leica owners who
understandably love being told they made a wise choice.   For this reason, he
would be a good and popular choice as an official Leica spokesman.

In answer to Roger, I started this tangent because after butting heads with
Erwin for years, I finally realized it was not the subject under discussion
that was at the real heart of the issue, but his promotion of new Leica
products (and therefore sales)  while maintaining how objective he is.  Whether
you agree or disagree is up to you, but that is my take on it.

Stephen Gandy

Replies: Reply from "Paul Arnold" <osprey@bmt.net> (Re: [Leica] Gandy & Puts objectivity)