Subject: [Leica] Leica Lens Questions
From: "Cochran, Adam" <Adam.Cochran@caltech.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 21:01:23 -0800

I would be grateful if one of you could advise me as to where I might be
able to obtain
information on the following lenses, or help me identify their type and
origin.  I have reviewed the User Buyer's Guide at
cameraquest.com/mlenses.htm but I have not been able to find a category into
which they easily fit.
The lenses are (as taken from the front ring):

Tele-Elmarit-M 1:2.8/90  Leitz Lens Made in Canada.  The number 3293*** is
just forward of the aperture ring.  This lens is a black version, has "90"
on the barrel, but no built-in hood.  It has a ribbed base (which includes
the red dot), and a ribbed focusing barrel & aperture ring.  The DOF
markings are aft of the focusing ring.  This could be a 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit
"thin" version, but these apparently did not have "90" on the barrel and did
not have the "-M" in the name.

Leitz Wetzlar  2144*** Tele-Elmar 1:4/135.  This lens is also black, does
not have 135 on the
barrel, and is without a built-in hood.  It has with a smooth base with a
chrome ring having the
red dot, a focusing barrel having ribbed, spaced concave sections, and a
ribbed aperture ring.
The DOF markings are forward of the focusing barrel.  The closest match I
have been able to make
is the 135/4 Tele-Elmar produced from 1965-1998, first version, but my
source (above) states
that this had a knurled focusing barrel, and a detachable lens head
(although the lens head on mine might be detachable and I am not aware of
it).

I would appreciate any references that one of you could give me.

Adam Cochran