Subject: [Leica] Eddie Adams Photo/ Jim Nachtwey in Israel
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 07:01:49 -0400

Arthur,
    Your statement about the Eddie Adams "Street Corner Execution" is
INCORRECT.
    Eddie says there was no warning about what was going to happen. It just
did.
    FYI- There is network movie footage of the whole thing, but it is not as
dramatic as the still photo.
    The shooter (I forget his name) who died last year explained after he
did it, how many innocent people this man killed.
    If the guy did say, " I'll give you something to shoot,"  I would like
to think, nobody would have made the picture. You don't kill a human being
for a Photo-Op.
    Many years ago, there was a set of photos of a Indian soldiers brutally
torturing and murdering Pakistani prisoners. The photos won a Pulitzer Prize
for Horst Faas (his 2nd) and Michel Laurent of the Associated Press. Also,
on the scene were Mary Ellen Mark and Mark Riboud, they walked away because
they felt this was being done for the benefit of the cameras. It wasn't.
They walked away from important pictures, if not made, could have allowed
this type of behavior to continue. The Indian Prime Minister stepped in and
made sure it would not happen again. Hopefully.
    I have spoken to Horst about this. Also, I do not think there were any
TV cameras around. Mobs usually do not perform for still cameras unless
prodded.

Regards,
Sal

Replies: Reply from Ted <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Eddie Adams Photo/ Jim Nachtwey in Israel)