Subject: RE: [Leica] Eyeglass wearers
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:19:10 -0700

I occasionally wear bifocals and have no difficulty focussing with them.  I
much prefer contacts for photography, though.

As to the "high eyepoint" issue - Leica finders have a single magnification
for all lenses, so whether they can be considered high eyepoint or not must
be judged relative to the focal length you want to use.  There are now three
finders with different set magnifications (0.58x, 0.72x and 0.85x) that
present the frame lines for the same lens as different sizes.

For lenses of 50mm and up all the finders would be considered high eyepoint,
as it is easy to see the frame lines even when wearing glasses.  For a 35mm
lens the .85 finder presents quite a low eyepoint (is there such a term?),
the .72 is neutral and the .58 gives a high eyepoint.  For a 28mm lens the
.85 is out of the running (no 28mm frame line), the .72 is "low eyepoint",
and the .58 will probably be neutral (i.e. a bit hard to see with glasses,
but no problems without).  The .58 finder is brand new, and I haven't seen
one yet, but these are the conclusions the math and my experience of the
other finders leads me to.

Paul Chefurka