Subject: Re: [Leica] Erwin, photographic technique
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 15:09:16 -0400

Robert,

Magnificent question. I (obviously) can't answer for Erwin, but would
offer the following suggestions to technically improve imagemaking. Of
course, the aesthetics of photography would take an additional paragraph
or two to explain.

1) Camera movement is the leading cause of image degradation. Use a
tripod and a cable or timer release. Absent a tripod, use a monopod, or
brace against something. Also, master the vibrationless release of the
shutter. HCB trained like a marathon runner to avoid camera movement
from all sources. In general photography, the impact of this issue often
is greater than all other factors combined.

2) Use use film rated at ISO 100 or slower, with Kodachrome 25 the
optimum choice. Films faster than 100 are not fully capable of recording
lens performance at Leica's level.

3) Focus very carefully. Mis-focusing is a serious cause of image
degradation. If there are some in the picture, focus on the eyes.

4) Use a high shutter speed as it minimizes camera and subject movement.
Erwin recommended, if I remember correctly, using at least 1/1,500
shutter speeds to squeeze the most out of the 70-180 to illustrate this
point.

5) If you are using a good SLR, use its mirror lock-up feature whenever
possible.

6) Find and use optimum lens apertures, which with Leica lenses is
hardly ever above 5.6.

7) All films are forgiving to a degree, but mis-exposing and
mis-processing film and prints can seriously degrade image quality. Use
an incident light meter most of the time.

8) Drink single malt to calm your nerves (see 1, above).

Oh, well, that's a start. Erwin will now correct me.

David W. Almy
Annapolis