Subject: [Leica] OT/ Crown graphic/4x5 Leica
From: "Birkey, Duane" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:53:22 -0500

I've got a Crown Graphic that I occasionally use for field work, copy negs
and Polaroid examples while teaching.

The one thing I don't like is that it does not work for vertical shots
requiring any tilt....  Although you can use it vertically to do images
requiring a bit of swing or more shift....  But when needed you can crop it
to achieve the vertical image anyhow....   I tried shooting vertically a
couple of times... but had a real hard time keeping the camera locked in
position especially while inserting film holders....

So.... if you want tilt..... you'll need to shoot with the camera
horizontal....

You can gain a bit more flexibility by reversing the front standard... to
either get more front tilt (my normal position) or front fall without tilt
using the drop bed.

The Crown is pretty indestructible..  no built-in shutter to add weight
etc... it does have a rangefinder system on top.... making it sort of a 4x5
Leica....  I've never used the rangefinder nor viewfinder though...

My normal lens is the current Nikkor 210 f/ 5.6 W.....   you have to take it
off to close the camera bed... but that is a minor inconvience in comparison
to the rest of the process...

I think I paid $75 for mine and it came with a 135 Graflex Optar...... so I
spent more for the Polaroid back than the camera....  I think it a great way
to get into a metal 4x5 field camera without the cash outlay of a Linhof
Master Teknica....

But the only way I use it is if I leave everything else at home... other
wise I'm shooting 35mm in color while the Graphic sits by itself in the back
of my Trooper...

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador