Subject: [Leica] Leica As Art/Craft
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 09:24:13 +0000

Thinking for a moment about all the complaints about Leica and not
meeting the "demands" of the hot technology photo market I remember that
the same people who might do such groaning are likely to promote artists
doing their art as personal expression.

So I'd like to give Leica credit for just hanging on and doing what they
love doing.  Benefit of doubt.  We each need to express ourselves.  I'm
sure most of the Leica staff don't dream of being on the assembly line
for Canon or Nikon.  I don't think the personality of the company has
that DNA to be a state of the art consumer driven company.  And we don't
need another one, thank you.

I just poured a glass of water from a hand made pitcher, one of a kind,
and it tastes wonderful and it is far better than Tupperware, despite
not having snap on lid, hinged pour spout, etc.  And I know the artist
wouldn't rather be running a machine that pops out the plastic than
sitting at her spinning wheel.

As a pro I know the whiz bang is nice and appreciated, but I'd rather
Nikon be Nikon, than give up Leica being Leica.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego