Subject: Re: [Leica] Using Kodachrome 64
From: "Bob Walkden" <bobwalkden@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 12:59:42 BST

Hi,

lucky guy - Steve McCurry is one of my favourites. He's doing a book signing
here in London in a fortnight, but unfortunately I'll miss it because I'm
flying off to exotic climes to emulate him :-)

I've shot a lot of K64. For a couple of years I used to rate it at 80 in the
camera, but process at 64. This is often recommended by travel
photographers. I've stopped doing it though because it increases the
contrast in the slides. K64 is quite a contrasty film anyway, and the
conditions in which I was shooting were also very high contrast, namely the
Ethiopian Highlands, which means bright sunlight at over 5000 metres
altitude. I also used a polariser, which increased the contrast still
further. Many of the people there have extremely dark skin, and frequently
wear a white gabbi (similar to a burnoose), so many of my slides were coming
back with a far higher contrast & saturation than I really wanted.

The lesson is, decide based on the local conditions whether or not you want
to underexpose your K64. Experimentation beforehand pays.

Cheers,

Bob