Subject: [Leica] DOF Preview
From: "William Gower" <wgower@eco-tec.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 09:28:46 -0400

Austin stunned the SLR world by writing:

> I'd really be curious as to how many SLR users on this list actually use
> the DOF preview???

I'd agree that the finder can get pretty damn dark when using the DOF
preview lever, but I find it pretty useful when using the 50mm to 105mm, and
f-stops from 1.4 to 5.6

After 5.6 it's getting too dark in the finder (for me, anyway) to see
anything.

I installed a Bettie plain screen in my F2, so that brightens up things at
least another 2 stops. I did this not to assist in using the DOF preview,
but because my eyesight is exceptionally poor in low light - and is getting
worse year after year. My father also had poor night vision - it forced him
out of the cockpit to flying a desk by the time he was in his mid thirties.
(I guess it's hereditary - any eye doctors on the list that could comment ?)

Don't seem to need the DOF preview for wides and super-wides, although for a
35mm f1.4 it might be useful.

I always figured because I had trouble focusing a SLR in low light, that the
rangefinder would be difficult for me to use. Now I'm glad I chose to go to
Leica rather than invest in a f1.2 Noct-Nikkor.

The DOF aid in the M2 finder is useful. Although I haven't had time to
experiment with it fully.

regards

William