Subject: [Leica] It must be number 4
From: "Robert Appleby" <laintal@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 05:00:30 GMT

How many mails about my time in India can I squeeze into a 4 week shoot? Too
many.
Yesterday I finally got around to something I've been wanting to do for a
long time. South Bombay is supplied with water by large bore water pipes
coming over the Creek (a swamp that divides the island into north and south)
right into Mahim Dharavi. Just as Dharavi has always fascinated me, I've
always wanted to walk on top of the pipes since I first saw them and saw
people doing just that as a short cut. So yesterday I walked the pipe! It's
big, it's slippery and if you fall off it hurts. This was a real buzz for me
and I hope I got some nice snaps. The problem is it's been raining here for
two weeks solid and yesterday the rain was lashing horizontally, so keeping
the lens dry was close to impossible. Where the pipes come into Dharavi is
where the metal workers live, as well as plastic sorting and the other
rubbish-related trades, so there are hutments and workshops between the two
pipes. Among other things, they make giant arrak-distilling barrels out of
oildrums (arrak is a country liquor, I'm not sure what it's made of exactly)
and carry them along the top of the pipe on their heads - looks good.
Also photographed an old couple living under the Mahim-Sion flyover. They
have a charpoy (cot made of a wooden frame and laced with string) on the
central reservation (about a meter wide) and that's where they live. They've
got a roof over their heads (the roadbridge itself), so they're actually
better off than some other people, but the diesel fumes are pretty awful.
Been there for twelve years.
Actually, people living like this isn't really the main thrust of my
photography, as I was more interested in how the slums have developed into
middle-class areas over the last twenty years, and especially since the
Bombay riots of 92, but these things also exist. Poverty itself is not an
interesting subject to me, but it's a factor you can't ignore.
Last week was a bit of a washout due to dysentery and heavy incessant rain,
but this week has got off to a good start. Hope to get a few days no/less
rain to finish off the project, this is my final week on it. Looking forward
to seeing my wife and five-year old daughter again!
Ciao babies,
Rob.