Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh vs. Nukeh
From: apbbeijing <apbbeijing@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:41:28 +0800

on 28/8/00 2:11 PM, John Brownlow at john@pinkheadedbug.com wrote:

> I think bokeh is pretty measurable. Just no-one measures it yet.

and

> You don't care about bokeh? Fine. But my point of view is that a
> photographer should be in charge of every element of his/her craft.

Good points John but surely if it isn't measured and one needs to be in
control of this and other unmeasured aspects of a lens performance the only
way to do that is to use the lenses oneself rather than rely on the
wishy-washy and simplistic assessments of a vague magazine report: as has
been reported the out of focus rendering of any lens is affected not only by
the specific and unmeasured 'bokeh' qualities but also focussing distance to
subject (or non subject rather), light conditions, aperture, and other
factors. These are conditions best judged in a reflex finder in the first
place and in the second are so highly specific to a particular working style
and situation as to make assessments of the out of focus image being 'nice'
or 'harsh' misleading.

What is nice bokeh for one situation may be less nice for another and
depends on taste as much as any of the other factors. Some people think the
doughnut shape of mirror lens bokeh is cool, others find it nauseating but
that is IMHO purely a matter of taste and the skill of the photographer to
use it creatively. Some people even create their own custom bokeh by using
cutouts of stars, smiley faces or whatever to make unusual highlight shapes
in the bright highlights: fine. I don't think many if any people carry a
mirror lens and a regular long focus lens to explore the bokeh possibilities
of both for practical shooting let alone lenses with more subtle
distinctions. In any case the main concern of the bokeh crowd is on a much
subtler level: the 35/2 vs 35/2 ASPH for example.

Magazine articles and even books may use images by different bokeh lenses to
illustrate the point but that is incidental to the main image making
activity not the preoccupation of the photographer. Doug has experienced
specific bokeh problems with some lenses and situations. Does that mean they
are bad lenses? I think not but I am sure others have already discounted
them even though their usage would be likely very different due to what is I
believe an exaggerated fear of 'bad bokeh'. Is Doug wrong or imagining
things? Of course not.

You (and I) seem have learned how our lenses work by using them: others seek
guidance through the inadequate source of jargonising pseudo-technical
writers with whose guidance we would all probably be using the latest Sigma
UltraApoMacroNeoDefocusZenMegaOptic rather than taking photos. I think
pictures speak louder than words and I do not find bokeh to be an issue in
your photos - even when I am looking for it - so I guess you have put that
behind you.

BTW is anyone you know of in the film world interested in bokeh? It must
have more relevance there: those double edged blurred things in the
background moving about...

Bests

Adrian