Subject: RE: [Leica] kyle's lost his @#$@#$! mind - week 35
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 16:11:31 -0700

It always amazes me how various people look at photos and intuit completely
different things from them.  Unlike John, what struck me was the simplicity
and directness of the photos, and how comfortable I thought the young lady
looked - given the subject of the pictures.

I'd hate to start second-guessing kyle's decisions here - he knows her and
knows a lot more about her situation than we do.  Of course the
circumstances are fraught with possibilities, but if we refrain from
shooting whenever we might affect our subjects - for good or ill - we will
be paralyzed.  Photographers in war zones face this potential every day, and
the unforseeable consequences of their actions are put in perspective
against the value of the story they bring back.  I think the story kyle is
onto here has the same kind of value, and warrants the same kind of risk.
Given, of course, that he has the young lady's committment to the project
and its message (whatever that may turn out to be).

Maybe this is an overblown analysis, based as it is on a dozen essentially
unedited pictures on the web, with no explicit statement of intention from
the artist.  I still think that this game is worth the candle, and more
power to kyle for having the courage to begin.

Paul