Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-Elmar Questions
From: Michael Chmilar <chmilar@mminternet.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 08:57:30 -0700

I have been using this lens for over one year. I have exactly the kit you
describe: 21, Tri-Elmar, 90. I find the T-E is my "most used" lens.

I bought the T-E to replace a 1958-vintage 35mm f3.5 Summaron. The
T-E is 1/2-stop slower, but I get two additional focal lengths - a happy
trade. In terms of image quality, the T-E is better than the Summaron
in every conceivable measurement.

I use the T-E primarily for outdoor daylight photography, and the f4.0
maximum aperture is not an issue. With 100ASA film, I rarely use the
lens wide-open. I love the ability to quickly change focal lengths with
a quick turn of a ring. Frequently, I just grab the camera and T-E, and
leave my camera bag behind.

I have shot indoors with available (reasonably bright) window light.
In these cases, the T-E is invariably used wide-open, and the shutter
speed may be 1/15 or 1/8 of a second. Hand-held, with a little arm
bracing, the pics are acceptable. Someday, I may supplement my setup
with a fast 35mm or 50mm lens.

There is a built-in lens shade, but at the 28mm setting, it is very shallow.
I have had some flares when the sun is just outside the angle of view.
The downside to adding an additional shade is that it will cut into the
viewfinder significantly.

One advantage (for me) to the current casing is the 55mm filter size. I
can share filters between the T-E and 90mm APO Summicron (55mm).
The new case appears to be 49mm, according to some of the other
posts.

later,
Mike

- --