Subject: Re: Vs: R lens tests (was: Re: [Leica] Re: Why M is so popular?)
From: AppleMac97@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:04:59 EDT

<<From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
I am a deeply cynical person when it comes to business. After several years
of reading magazines like Popular Photography and before that Modern
Photography, I am fully convinced that the editorial policies of these
magazines
are driven by the advertising. This suspicion is strengthened by the fact
that the subscription is dirt cheap (I used to pay $9.95 a year for Pop Photo
in the early 90s). Clearly, subscriptions do not pay the freight there,
ads do. I do not recall ever reading a review of any major brand which was
negative. Now, it could be that everything produced by Nikon, Pentax, Minolta
and Canon is just wonderful, but I tend to believe that the magazines
know which side of the bread is buttered..>>>>

Nathan:

Your suspicions are correct!  Many years ago, Pop Photo or Modern Photo
responding to a reader's letter stated that they never publish negative
reviews of photo equipment for legal reasons, i.e. they were afraid of being
sued by the manufacturers.  My personal interpretation is that they were
afraid of losing advertising revenues from those companies, because other
magazines such as Consumer Reports routinely evaluate products without being
taken to court by unhappy manufacturers.  So if you never see a review of a
certain camera or lens, you can assume that their tests showed it to be a
poor quality product, and that they decided not to publish it.

Muhammad Chishty

Replies: Reply from khmiska <khmiska@umich.edu> (Re: Vs: R lens tests (was: Re: [Leica] Re: Why M is so popular?))