Subject: Re: [Fwd: [Leica] a summicron by any other name]
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:49:30 +1000

"Henning J. Wulff" wrote:

> I'm sorry, Horst, but this isn't true. Apochromatic correction of a lens
> has nothing to do with the overall spectral response. Neither does it have
> anything to do with coatings, or flare level, or distortion or any one of a
> number of other aberrations. All it means is that three wavelengths in the
> visible region of the spectrum will focus on the same plane. It does not
> even mean that the rest of the wavelengths are focussed within a small
> distance of the same plane.
>
> Of course, most manufacturers of general use lenses try to do a good job of
> other aspects of aberration correction and quality design when going to the
> trouble of making an 'Apo' lens, but that is a different matter.
>
>    *            Henning J. Wulff

Henning, thanks for your kind explanation. It makes sense to me. When I said
spectrum, I actually meant the 3 primary colours. I hadn't thought of all the
other colours in between. Thanks again.

Regards, Horst Schmidt

Message from "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Fwd: [Leica] a summicron by any other name])