Subject: [Leica] Voigtländer Bessa-R ad
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:58:11 -0700

BOB KRAMER wrote:
><Snip>
> > Have faith, they designed it that way.  Good engineers, those Germans.
><Snip>
> Bob Kramer

Which reminded me of the two page ad in the new American Photographer I just got
for Voigtlander Bessa-R. Don't blame Bob!
"Pick up the Bessa-r and learn why many of the 20th century greats, Henri
Cartier-Bresson, W. Eugene Smith, etc., were drawn to rangefinders."
Illustrated are 6 pieces of equipment on two pages all strategically turned so
there is no "Made in Japan" showing. No mention of Cosina anywhere in the ad and
i searched it with a fine toothed comb.
The BIG Voigtländer logo at the bottom of the second page.
Underneath
"Exclusive Distribution of THK products, Inc" Long Beach CA.

But Japan IS mentioned: as if they are sombody else:

"50mm f1.5 Nokton -Extremely fast, with exciting  "bokeh," as the Japanese call
background blur, th
is sharp, contrasty lens excels ...."

There is a LOT of copy in this 2 page ad.
I'd call it a lie of omission.
If it was my baby somewhere i'd slip in:
"And now the Cosina cooperation has brought back the historic Voigtlander name!"

It is possible it is THK of Long Beach CA who is responsible for the deception
and not Cosina as much.
If that were the case I'd hope Cosina would correct it.
Mark William Rabiner

Discover Voigtländer
	go to a swap meet

Replies: Reply from John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu> (Re: [Leica] Voigtländer Bessa-R ad)