Subject: Re: [Leica] 24mm, 75mm AND NOW 90MM
From: "Paul Bolam" <Paul@bolam67.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:54:02 +0100

Matt Morgan said:
> Hmmm.....just when I was happy that all my lens choices had been made, now
> I'm all undecided again:-)
> The 75mm is a very expensive lens which is one consideration, but I do
like
> the idea of the extra speed and certainly the "razor thin DOF". I'll
> probably still go with the new 90mm APO f2, but I would like to hear of
any
> experience with it. Next month's budget is taken up with the 24mm,
> viewfinder and a Rapidwinder, so I'm about 6 weeks away from buying either
> the 90 or the 75.

Matt,
I've just added the 90 APO to my armoury and whilst it is optically
excellent, I would say it is not as good mechanically as the 75. This is for
two reasons:-

1) the aperture ring on the 90 is loose, making it too easy to accidentally
knock it away from the selected aperture (the aperture ring is right next to
the focussing ring).

2) the focus mount is stiff when focussed at about 1.2 meters.
This makes it hard to make fine focus adjustments on close-ups. Granted,
this
may wear in with use, so I've taken to regularly twisting the mount to help
it along.

It is very likely that these characteristics are particular to my lens only
but I thought I'd better let you know. Primarily, I bought the 90 to use on
an M2 for portraiture so will often use the close focus range. I must
emphasise though, that I would still buy this lens again, given the choice
(especially as the M2 does not have 75 framelines).

Bottom line though, if I had a preferrence between the 75 and 90, it would
be the 75 as it focusses closer which is a distinct advantage in
portraiture.
Paul.

Replies: Reply from Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net> (Re: [Leica] 24mm, 75mm AND NOW 90MM)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] 24mm, 75mm AND NOW 90MM)