Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Why M is so popular?
From: Steven Alexander <alexpix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:09:02 -0400

on 8/17/00 8:11 AM, Brougham at brougham3@yahoo.com wrote:

> There have been very few competitors to the M.

This is the only answer.  I went from M2/3's to Nikon SP in 1962.  Most of
my Leica M camera lens were either Canon or Nikon except for the 90mm f2.

When I became a motion picture photographer I opted for Bolex/Arriflex boxes
and abandoned the still equipment.  In 1974 I wanted to create some still
images and all I could find in shops were SLR's.  I got a 6x6 Rollie...1977
again looking...only rf was Leica M5 or M4. No Nikon,no anything else except
used and unsupported stuff except for the lonely Leica.

Until 1997 there was not competitive rf boxes out there...sole ownership
belonged to Leica.  Today with new entrants in the rf field people talk
about putting other brand lens on their prized Leica boxes and if Nikon
produced a camera as good and featured as the SP with lenses tomorrow they
would see a rush to buy them.

Leica user,

Steven Alexander