Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux 50mm f1.4
From: "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:15:59 +0100

Barry

The true value of the Noctilux is in being able to capture available light,
handheld images that would otherwise not be possible, or only possible with
very high speed film with the ensuing issues of grain etc.

Yes, the lens does interfere in the viewfinder, but not obscuring half of
it - that was dramatic licence on your part I think.  One test roll is not
enough to be able to live with the Noctilux.  Once you have used it for a
while, you learn to look through the area of interference in the viewfinder
and you can compose just as well as with any other lens.

Indeed is does vignette when wide open but so what, if it maens the
difference between getting the shot and missing it, give me the vignetting
any day.  I agree, an editor or publisher may not be happy with having to do
a lot of cropping - if so, don't use the Noctilux for those pictures.

The Noctilux is truly an amazing piece of lens design but has the
limitations that one would expect and which Irwin Putts very concisely
describes in his review of the lens.  There are many examples on the web of
images taken using the Noctilux and they are superb (some of Tina Manley's
images spring to mind such as the child in front of the candle).

If you need to work in low light, need good quality/low grain images and can
justify the expense then there is nothing much to challenge the Noctilux.
But please, one roll is hardly doing justice to the lens or your
capabilities with it.

Enjoy the excellent 75 though.

Simon

Amateur Images at http://www.sclamb.com

Barry Dinan wrote:

> - thanks to all who responded to my last query re parallax error using
24mm.
>   Being new to rangefinder I had never thought of parallax error in
relation
> to foreground obscuring background. -
>
> I had the Noctilux 50mm on trial and after shooting a test roll with this
> lens I returned it to the shop and bought something else (The 75mm
Summilux