Subject: [Leica] On the Nikon S3
From: "sam" <salex@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 23:51:56 +0000

Larry  wrote in part

> Consider how the numbers reported here on the LUG -- that Nikon has
> orders for over 7000 S3s at $5500 each, and may manufacture as many
> as 8000 of them -- compare to Leica M sales (I'm assuming the Nikon
> numbers are accurate which, let's note, we do not know as a fact).

I think I  posted the original 7,000 at $5,500 (3,700 pounds sterling), as
it was reported in a current British camera magazine (AP?) that I saw in a
magazine shop.

But I still am amazed and even skeptical.  If LHSA had problems selling
a tiny edition of a very desirable camera at nearly half the price, I find
it hard to believe that 7,000 (or even 8,000) buyers will drop $5,500 for a
retro rangefinder.  BTW, does anyone know what the final order numbers
were for the LHSA edition?

sam