Subject: [Leica] lee friedlander's new monograph
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 18:34:37 EDT

Has anyone else seen Lee Friedlander's new monograph? Yesterday, I ran into
fellow LUGGER Patrick Witty at Photographer's Place picking this book up.

It is another book of self portraits, but this time not in mirrors or
shadows- strait on IN your face. Perhaps the perfect antidote to the first
book of self portraits where you only get one look at Friedlander "strait
on." Of course he was younger and slimmer then, so I hardly recognized him
when I first saw this new book!

At first these are hard to look at, as they are shot with a wide angle lens
(my guess would be an SWC since I saw him once on the street carrying one)
and he is not exactly, lets say, "pretty." I guess that makes this post a bit
OT, although I'm not sure that none of them are Leica negs. cropped square. I
do know that Friedlander shoots plenty with a Leica.

I would say the object of the monograph was to catch some real stinkers and
stick them in our faces. So just like him. Now when everyone expects him to
lurk in the backgrounds/reflections/shadows he jumps out in front of us.  I
think this work is beginning to grow on me, especially because they are self
portraits taken around the world...no one travels more and has the tenacity
to keep a project up! (well maybe HCB did in the day?)

While I found $35 a bit high to pay for this book, it is worth at least
taking a look at. As all of Lee's work it is a "limited edition" of about
4000. I would predict that they won't be around for ever either judging from
his last books. (American Monuments sells for over $600 now at PP! I remember
buying it for $100 at PP in the early 80's and thinking it was out of control
then...)

I think Friedlander has really continued to add new dimensions to his body of
work with each new book.

Now, the fireworks will begin I suppose...please no "attacks" as I don't have
time to respond to them all. ;-/

later,
Rich