Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Vacation... lighten up
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:46:10 -0400

on 10/8/00 1:27 pm, Jim Brick at jimbrick@photoaccess.com wrote:

> This is the difference between a "passion" and simply a job. A passion is
> your life. A job is something you do to sustain a passion or life.
>
> Mark is extremely lucky that his passion is his job and his life.

Very lucky. One of the reasons I never really pursued a career as a pro was
that my first few paying assignments just paralysed me creatively. I was too
scared to take risks... which I guess my style has always relied on.

Also I sensed the joy flooding out of it.

Even now, though, when I'm really immersed in a (non-paying) project I find
I just have to get away from cameras for a while, or everything starts to
look like a photograph.

So I write for a living now... and I don't write for pleasure, though I
enjoy what I do very much. But it does mean that I can take exactly the
pictures I want without worrying if anyone will ever buy them. So I
absolutely lift a glass to anyone who can pursue all sides of the
art/profit/pleasure equation simultaneously.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com