Subject: Re: [Leica]So long, Flare, we overknew ye.... was Shadow boxing
From: ralph fuerbringer <rof@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 17:13:51 -0400

together at last: the flare twins, meyers and wullf,official flare quardians
on the list.for the flair wulff uncovered in photographing  a brick wall
he received the uncoveted DE award(double expose, sky first then the
wall,get max flair)
 meyers contributions to flare myth  would require a 30 gigabite harddrive.
still you cant fault these two tech nincompops for presumption.for
their pathetic theory they demean a perfectionist, Philip Jones-Griffiiths.
they imply he would skip a helpful preflash to speed up his own or magnums
slide-copying,ignoring the best quality possible.there have been statements
galore here that flare and preflashing involve inevitable and severe loss of
definition and contrast. Philip Jones-Griffith statement to forget the
preflash  was  unqualified. in practical terms it verifies the unqulalified
one muddy meyers quoted from Erwin Puts:"the old story that you can use a
low contrast and/or flare prone lens to compensate for high contrast in the
scene is not accurate. flare adds nothing to the highlights,
just muddies the dark." cant we get flare interested in somthing else, like
 the epson 1270? . humidity and ozone are having a ball turning stuff
orange. flare, go there,give the orange a preflash.if it helps you'll be a
hero, maligned no more.  ralph