Subject: Re: [Leica] Shadow boxing
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 22:22:19 -0700

We're all joking about this but I pulled out my Ansel Adams: The Negative Basic
Photo Two 5th printing.

"Actually, flare may sometimes be used advantageously. There is no question in
my mind that coated and uncoated lenses yield different image qualities. If an
"uncoated" effect is desired with a coated lens, a neutral-density  filter, or a
piece (or pieces) of optically plane (sic?) glass may be placed before the lens.
The uncoated surfaces of these Glasses will produce reflection and scattering of
light, and therefore slightly reduce the contrast of the image. Of course, it
must be thoroughly understood that the addition of such elements to the optical
system will reduce definition."

Mark Rabiner

Message from "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] Shadow boxing)