Archived posting to the Leica Users Group, 2000/08/07

[Author Prev] [Author Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Author Index] [Topic Index] [Home] [Search]

Subject: [Leica] Carnet du Passage
From: "Jim Laurel" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 18:46:07 -0700
References: <>

A "Carnet du passage" is essentially a passport for your equipment.  You put
up a bond based on the value of the equipment and the issuing authority
gives you a document that gets stamped by the customs of each country on
entry and departure.  To recover your bond, you must prove that you returned
home with all the equipment.  If your equipment becomes an issue at foriegn
customs, you can sometimes as them to write the equipment list into your
passport, showing that you came in with the gear.  On exit, customs will
check the list against what you have with you.

Unless you're carrying a horde of valuable equipment (for a movie production
or tradeshow, for example) or are driving a car across a border, you really
don't need one.  No one is going to hassle you over a few cameras for your
personal use.  If you're really concerned about US Customs, they have a form
you can fill out that they will validate indicating that you left the
country with the items.

The only issuing authority for Carnets in the US is ATA at

By the way, I was talking to a guy who led a little trip with two Land
Rovers around the world in 80 days.  He had to use the ATA Carnet, since
that is all that you can get for US-originating equipment.  He reports quite
a few hassles, because no one would recognize the American Carnet.  They all
seemed to be looking for the more common, AA Carnet, issued in the UK.

- --Jim

In reply to: Message from Paul Chefurka <> (RE: [Leica] Re: U.S. Customs)