Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo Magazines
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 16:38:15 -0700

 Alan Magayne-Roshak wrote:

> >Today's publications seem so weak.  I am
> > thankful to Bob Schwalberg, Bill Pierce, Ed Meyers and all the others for
> > giving me an education in photography.
> > I think growing up with these articles and pictures sparked the need for me
> > to use Leica rangefinders.  I wasn't really happy until I got my M3.

Mark Rabiner responded:

> Me too! It was Pop Photo that got me into it. Loved their annuals. Just bought
> the 1957 annual this month. Cora Wright-Kennedy, Bill Pierce and all the others
> I always read them. And I loved the Gravure!<<<<<<<<<<<

Like you lads the photo magazines of the 50's were my bibles and I
learned more about photography from them than all of the today power
sales pitches purported to be "Photo magazines."  With possibly Photo Techniques!

They were truly learning literature to point the way and show the light.
The other magazines that were very influential for me were Life, Look,
Der Stern,. Paris Match and others I've forgotten. I believed by looking
at lots of good photographs I'd slowly learn what makes a good
photograph! And I don't have any doubt the wisdom gleaned from those
early magazines were very influential in my success as a professional
photojournalist for the past 50 years.

It's a shame that today most of the photo magazines have merely
degenerated into super sales catalogues with a minor touch of wisdom on occasion.!
ted

Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Photo Magazines)