Subject: RE: [Leica] 35mm Summicron, version differences
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 17:31:48 -0400

You are both absolutely right - Erwin's tests deal with optical absolutes,
not real-world use. Just as we only use a tiny percentage of our theoretical
brain capacity, so the vast majority of us on this list are incapable of
tweaking the last bits of performance out of Leica lenses of the past
several generations - or telling the difference between them...

Until, as JD points out, we get to the Aspherical versions. Having had the
last pre-asph version of the 21, and having had a pre-asph 35 Summilux, and
replaced them both with the ASPH versions, I will say that anyone who as
reasonably good eyesight can tell the difference between the performance of
those lens versions.

B.D.