Subject: Re: [Leica] flare in shadows
From: chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:17:10 -0700

Bruce Davidson gave a lecture here about ten years ago in conjunction with
the Magnum exhibition that was at the Henry Art Gallery over at the UW. He
told a great story about one of his "icon" photographs from the Fifties,
that of a teenage gang member rolling a pack of cigarettes into the sleeve
of his T-shirt, while his girlfriend fixed her hair in the mirror of the
cigarette dispenser. Twenty years or so later, Davidson was mugged on the NY
subway while taking pictures for his book on the subway, and had his Leica
and flash stolen. He called the police, and the cop who showed up to take
the report was---the ex-gang member himself!

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.