Subject: Re: [Leica] in the dark with the summilux
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 09:37:17 -0700

Mumble. I have a Summilux 1.4; no idea how old it is but it's a great lens.
The problem with using it in the dark is that you're lured into loading
film in the dark, which increases the chances that you'll mess up, which I
did. I just got back from a weekend trip to a wedding at which I shot 4
rolls of things that the hired photographer was going to miss, but the last
roll was loaded in the dark during the reception and of course I loaded it
wrong and so of course the roll didn't advance. Ah, that sinking feeling
that you get when you stop feeling resistance in the rewind crank after 3
turns and you know perfectly well what happened and that there is nobody to
blame but yourself.  I took the film to the men's room and tossed in in the
trash for fear I might accidentally confuse it with something that had value.