Subject: Re: [Leica] M or R ???
From: Douglas Herr <doug@nualumni.com>
Date: 7 Aug 2000 07:59:11 -0700

On Sun, 06 August 2000, Håkan Dennersten wrote:

> Hi
>
> Let i am new to this group so if i am picking up an old boring thread,
> please ignore this message.
>
> Let me introduce myself. I am a 38 year old ex photographer. I worked as a
> fulltime photographer 1981 - 1986.
>
> 1986 - 1999 i owned a Canon F1. Took 10 - 20 rolls of film maximum.
>
> Exactly 1 year ago i had a full revival with photography. I think it's
> incredible fun again i think i've shot 50 - 70 rolls this past year. I ran
> out to by the equipment i worked with in the beginning of the 80:s.
>
> Nikon F2, Nikon FE and four lenses. One Hasselblad 2000 with 2 Lenses and
> one Nikon 35 TI, and one Kodak Digital camera.
>
> I hate the new plastic cameras with millions of programmes.
>
> As time has passed by this year i find myself just bringing out the Nikon 35
> Ti, and the Hasselblad.
>
> So i was thinking. OK let's realize an old dream. Buy a more fun camera to
> bring out.  Let's go and by a Leica M6. I went to the store. But there i
> felt unsure what to do. The M6 felt bigger than i thought. The focusing felt
> awkward and did'nt get the feeling that i would bring out this camera
> everytime i went out of my house, a camera lying on the shelf is of no use !
> I had the feeling that the M6 was as the Hasselblad. Boring to use but with
> an outstanding result. I felt i did'nt need one more boring camera :)
>
> I went out of the store emptyhanded. Went to Africa one month without the
> Nikons and really missed them once being there. Went to Nice last week.
> Strolled and found a Leica R4s in a window.
>
> Went in and got a real positive feeling about it, bought it. Got my first
> film back today, and the result is fantastic. Like the focusing and display
> a lot.  Maybe it's a little plastic feeling. But it's OK.
>
> OK let's come to my questions.
>
> What i need is 2 more cameras. 80 % of the time i use a 35 and a shorter
> tele. Once in a while i use a 28, 50 and 200 lens.
>
> I would really like to be convinced to buy a M camera. But how is _really_
> to use ??? Maybe one more R camera is the right for me ?? How is the 6.2 ???
>

> Please guide me.
>

> (sorry for my bad english)
>

> Håkan Dennersten
> Founder

Håkan,

I can't tell you which type of camera is going to feel right to you.  I use long lenses and macro lenses, so I'm using an SLR.  I'd love to be able to justify buying an M6 and 35-50-90mm lenses, but I'd hate to sell my R lenses in these focal lengths, so I'd end up with overlapping cameras, I'd carry too much stuff around, and I wouldn't be having fun any more.  So I'm using only R cameras & R lenses.

In my experience the R4s is reasonably simple, for an electronic camera, and reliable, but the Leicaflex SL gives me exceptional sensory feedback: the viewfinder, the feel of the controls, and even the smell tell me it's the work of people dedicated to building a product that can be used for a lifetime.  What it lacks in features it more than makes up for in inspiring confidence.  IMHO, of course.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.