Subject: Re: [Leica] why buy old stuff? (was "notoriously crappy" lens)
From: Guy Bennett <guy.bennett@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:14:16 +0100

>Guy-
>The simple reason is that each and every Leitz lens has its own
>charateristics, and if the lens- regardless of age, give you the rendering
>of a scene that meets your expectations, then that is why you'd use old
>stuff! I happily use an Elmar from 1933 simply because I like the way it
>does portraits! No other lens comes close to giving me the look I want. I
>don't disparage new stuff- I have the newer Summicron for my M6, but I still
>like using the LTMs- simple, basic and they work-
>sort of like comparing a trip using a car or a bicycle- the car may be nice,
>and comfortable- and faster, but by using the bike, you get to learn a lot
>about yourself, and you see more of the countryside!
>So.... That's why!  :o)
>Dan (An incredibly curmugeonly and cantankerous Old Fart!) Post

dan,

my question ('why use old stuff to begin with?') was rhetorical. though i
have, and use frequently, an m6 with current lenses, i also use a iiif with
vintage lenses (the one concession to modernity being the cosina 25). i
simply like the way it operates and love the results i get from it. that
said, i'm not going to sell my current leica gear; i use both.

what ho!

guy

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] why buy old stuff? (was "notoriously crappy" lens))