Subject: RE: [Leica] why buy old stuff? (was "notoriously crappy" lens)
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 20:06:39 -0400

The question of whether the "old stuff" - by which you mean the pre M4p Ms -
is indeed "better built" is one that is debated here ad nauseum, and I won't
get into it other than to say that on an emotional, tactile, level, I
suspect you are right - but folks who claims far greater expertise than mine
say it just ain't so.....

But other than that...I am including all Ms in the modern category. I am not
referring to any of them as "old stuff." They are all "modern" mechanical
rangefinder cameras - the M6 happens to have a meter; the M6 TTL has a
half-assed versions of a modern flash system; the M5 is a world unto itself,
but a world any M users should be comfortable in; and the earlier Ms are M6s
without meters and - some of them - with different frame lines. Whether or
not they are built better.....
B. D.