Subject: [Leica] mad dogs , asphericals go out in the midday sun
From: ralph fuerbringer <rof@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 00:10:48 -0400

i believe it was philip jones-griffiths  told me about a photographer
shooting desert wildflowers.  after the first week his agency wired:
wonderful effect but ten rolls is enough with only center sharp, all
else weird and soft. he didnt know what they meant until he looked into his
expensive asherical lens. the mean desert sun had melted the asherical
element. that was canon glass. from the list i have gleaned that leica
aspherical elements are stamped molten glass from hoya who most of you say
cant make decent filters. not to worry, be happy: get melt insurance from
state farm,stay in the shade as much as possible.  after boston come to nyc.
our emperor has streets safe for shooting, the sun seldom penetrates our
protective smog and towers. best of all: none of our 500 painted cows has a
lawyer-yet .ralph