Subject: Re: [Leica] Dr. Strangelens, or....
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 11:33:54 -0700

><Snip>
> Mark:
>
> Claiming love for old Leica glass?  I don't remember that part.  I bought a
> Leica because it's a great _machine_, not because I can mount any particular
> sort of lens on the front of it.  And I bought an old Leica lens because it
> was what I could afford at the time and I'd been told it was a pretty good
> lens.
><Snip>
> Matt Barker
><Snip>

At one point it seemed half the people on this list thought the M6 was the price
to pay for the use of Leica/Leitz glass. There will always be people who seem to
feel that ones glass should cost a small fraction of what your camera cost. Two
out of my 6 lenses each cost about the same as an M6 body, the 24 and the 135
3.4.
Although I love the rangefinder way of shooting I value glass above all else. At
this point all my glass is current but down the line I plan to do some shooting
with Leitz glass of an earlier vintage for their respective interesting fingerprints.
Now we have all these ASPH's which defiantly put us as the best glass in 35mm photography.
I'm enjoying the use of my 50 Summicron, 24, 35 ASPH, 90 Elmarit, and 135 APO
and knowing that in the realm of 35mm photography there is no where to go but
down, image quality wise.
I'm sorry but my opinion of buying Cosina glass for a Leica M camera is quite low.
With the exception of maybe the 15, possibly the 75 2.5.
My opinion seems to be "you want cheap glass? there is lots of used old Leitz
glass out there."
That's MY opinion, We've all got one!
Mark Rabiner