Subject: RE: [Leica] Dr. Strangelens, or....
From: "Barker, J. Madison" <Matt.Barker@KutakRock.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 10:25:40 -0500

Stephen Gandy wrote:

Mark,

every standard Leica reference that I've ever read agrees that the 50/2
Collapsible
Summicron was the sharpest 50/2 Leitz lens made up to that time, and some
say it was the
best 50/2 of its time.  Of course, later versions were sharper, but this was
hardly junk.

Have you ever shot the 50/2 Collapsible Summicron.   If I recall correctly,
a couple of
articles in the Viewfinder also find it a great lens for its time.   I was
very surprised
to read your opinion of the collapsible Summicron, I have talked to anyone
who shares it.

might you have confused this lens with the 50/2 Summar, which does have a
terrible
reputation for sharpness ? (though it has a beautiful soft focus if you like
that effect)

have you shot a 50/2 Collapsible Summicron?  from your comments, its not
clear.

lastly, Madison, is the lens clear when you shine a light thru it from both
directions ?
if you see any haze or fogging at all with a light, it needs cleaning.

Stephen Gandy

****

Stephen,

The lens looks pretty clear; it does have some "cleaning" marks on the front
element.  It's with Sherry right now because of sticky focus and a tendency
to try to collapse when "stopping up."  We'll see how much clearer it looks
when it gets back.  Thanks for your comments,

Matt