Subject: Re: [Leica] Dr. Strangelens, or....
From: Stephen Gandy <Stephen@CameraQuest.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 15:31:11 -0700

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> "Barker, J. Madison" wrote:
> >
> > Jeez, Mark, I get the feeling the question is rhetorical, but since you ask,
> > no, that's not the answer.  How about these:
> >
> > Because those are the only 50mm lenses I have, and I thought it'd be
> > interesting to see (but live and learn, eh?)?
> >
> > Because I'm an ignorant newbie who had no better sense than to buy this
> > "notoriously crappy" lens, foolishly relying on Stephen Gandy, who says it
> > "set new performance standards" (yes, I know, he's talking about _for its
> > time_), and the (LHSA-member) seller who said, "the finest ever made in
> > screwmount.  This is the Leica 7 element 50/2.0 Summicron (the same lens
> > formula is still made today, in bayonet mount), made with the highly
> > refractive Lanthanum crown glass (making it slightly radioactive),
> > permitting the highest performance ever, period.  According to Lager,
> > 'noteworthy for extensive correction of all aberrations and reduction of
> > vignetting to a minimum; unusually high performance'"?  But thanks for
> > setting me straight; I needed another weight on my trotline anyway, and I
> > suppose it'd be impossible to sell this lens at any price without committing
> > fraud, right LUG?;)
>
> A Bark from Mark!:
>
> All probably true.
> Except that in it's collapsible version it wasn't any good. Bad baffling?
> And this is widely known, and I'm surprised Stephen would not know this.
> Perhaps you read his thing wrong.
> I got into Leica wanting to buy this lens as a first priority.
> But was talked out of it widely from everyone and his mother!
> I think NOW Leica should have a collapsible 50, 75 and 90.
> Compactness is what the Leica system should maintain.
> It's a shame they can't make a M system camera on the same scale as the Barnack
> (screw mount).
> or bring back the CL.
> I hate to rain on you parade if I had two 50's I'd compare them and I don't'
> even question the extreme casualty of you test parameters.
> It's just it APPEARS stuff is happening which is not if people don't know the
> collapsible was a dog. What happened your contrast was low so you went out an
> got a Nokton?
> Gee sure has more contrast than that stupid Leitz lens doesn't it!
> I'd love to see the 50mm Summicron collapsible compared to a pre ASPH 35mm Summicron.
> Or another more modern Leitz 50.
> The best comparison in the context of this discussion of course would be to
> compare it to it's non collapsible version.
> Mark Rabiner

Mark,

every standard Leica reference that I've ever read agrees that the 50/2 Collapsible
Summicron was the sharpest 50/2 Leitz lens made up to that time, and some say it was the
best 50/2 of its time.  Of course, later versions were sharper, but this was hardly junk.

Have you ever shot the 50/2 Collapsible Summicron.   If I recall correctly, a couple of
articles in the Viewfinder also find it a great lens for its time.   I was very surprised
to read your opinion of the collapsible Summicron, I have talked to anyone who shares it.

might you have confused this lens with the 50/2 Summar, which does have a terrible
reputation for sharpness ? (though it has a beautiful soft focus if you like that effect)

have you shot a 50/2 Collapsible Summicron?  from your comments, its not clear.

lastly, Madison, is the lens clear when you shine a light thru it from both directions ?
if you see any haze or fogging at all with a light, it needs cleaning.

Stephen Gandy

Replies: Reply from "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se> (Re: [Leica] Dr. Strangelens, or....)
Reply from "Roland Smith" <roland@dnai.com> (Re: [Leica] Dr. Strangelens, or....)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Dr. Strangelens, or....)