Subject: Re: [Leica] Electronic storage/archiving question
From: chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:19:23 -0700

There are all sorts of database managment programs (specific to
photographers' needs) on the market that will do what you want to do, but
I'd give up any hope of them not being time-consuming. Databases certainly
automate and speed up the *retrieval* process, but it's the initial data
entry that eats up enormous amounts of time. I do a lot of litigation that
involves managment of large document databases, and it's always the initial
establishment of the database that causes "sticker shock" for the client. In
one recent case (which I was not involved in, thank God), the trial had to
be postponed for several months because the document coders (the folks who
abstract the document information and enter it into the database) in the
Philippines went on strike. Once the database is set up, though, the time
savings in search and retrieval generally justify the initial expense.

That said, I just keep track of details of each roll I shoot in a basic
database I set up in Microsoft Access. I don't incorporate any thumnails or
any other images in it. Negatives go into polyethylene sleeves in notebooks,
contact sheets are stored in spent printing paper boxes.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.