Subject: Re: [Leica] Summilux 50 bo-ke?
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 23:30:04 +0200

Thanks CapsTeeth and Deadman for your answers (and images)!
I think that CapsTeeth is right in his message below. Comparing the Nokton and the Summilux, the Nokton seems to produce crispier images with a higher contrast, factors that I personally value higher than a smooth bo-ke. I took another look at my Nokton images (now completed with a slide shot) at http://www.geocities.com/hanspahlen/bokeh.htm and I like them better (from a technical point of view, that is). The Summilux 50 reminds me of the Summilux 35 non-asph at wide apertures.

To sum up, I guess CapsTeeth also is right about the Summicron 50! The Summicron 50 will perform better than any other lens at F/2.0, comparing sharpness and contrast. Anyway, I will probably keep the Nokton as a fast reserve lens when I use slow slide films.

Johnny, do you still have any Nokton images on the web? It would be interesting to compare the light conditions/backgrounds on Oxford Street with your Summilux images.
Sorry for my ramblings...

Hans