Subject: Re: [Leica] Who's Into Leather?
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 13:39:08 EDT

Okay, but is the fur really necessary?  Actually, I checked the website.  It
appears that both the conventional design and belt-packs are sold.
I have used a belt-pack to transport a IIIb w/Summitar plus yellow and green
filters very nicely.  It will also accomodate an M, without Leicameter, with
collapsible 50.  For about $1.00, I bought a nylon case sold by Kodak some
years back for use with some outsized p & s or other, new in the box.
This kind of item is still to be found in the average shopping mall chain
camera store, usually at throwaway prices.  It draws no attention to one's
valuables and is reasonably weather-resistant.  The velcro-closure top flap
is easy to open and secure enough to keep the camera inside, unless you stand
on your head.  Since the camera is held vertically, gravity helps insure
stability.  Drawback - it's a heavy weight on your belt at 24 oz., and your
pants tend to droop after awhile on the side where it is carried.  This is no
GR-1.  This is your father's Oldsmobile, so to speak.  The 98, with fender
skirts, if you tote the SOOPD along.  Can be overcome, if you want to carry
it to the rear, as a "fanny pack".
Anyway, it works for me, and the price is right.  Smells like garbage, though.

Joe Sobel