Subject: RE: [Leica] Would Ansel Adams shoot Leica
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 09:37:34 -0700

Why not?  He shot everything else and used every manufacturers' products
that were given to him.  Strong emphasis on the word "given".

I am not degrading what he did or how he made his living.  He was a truly
great, and I am a big fan.  However it becomes really obvious that he needed
to support his family.  He did that with product promotions, endorsements,
and product reviews ( technical advisor is the more PC wording).  Whatever
support he could find that put $$$ in his pocket.  Yes, he preferred not to
do this, but he did it.  If you review his body of work done for the
University California program, the putput is drab and without love.  It is
the pictures he did AROUND that body of commissioned work that is
outstanding.

Yes he used Contax, Leica, Eastman, Kodak, Ansco, Hasselblad, Polaroid, and
who knows what else.

Going 1 step further, HE was great.  He used tools that assisted him. The
Leica, Contax, Kodak, Hasselblad or other are really a footnote in his
lifelong appendix.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net