Subject: [Leica] SP
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 19:08:20 +0000

Johnny Deadman wrote:

>Namely, you have to recognise that the problem is in your own head!!

>In a funny way these concerns are nothing to do with actual street
>shooting... in the sense that it is only when you have overcome them that
>the actual learning about SP begins! The day comes when you go out and shoot
>for an afternoon and you go home with lots of exposed rolls and you realise
>you didn't worry about what you were doing once... no-one got upset... you
>felt 'in the zone'... you had a lot of fun... you talked to a few people.

Damn if that don't ring of a bit of zen in the art of photography.  And
why shouldn't we use photography as a way of enlightenment.  Think about
the root of that word.  Maybe a bit Taoist, too, joining in the flow of
humanity in the street, letting go of self and seeing the ripple and
waves, the currents and undercurrents.  Acting with effortless effort.
How can you stand out if you are part of the flow??

donal
(Doing his Alan Watts impersonation)
- --
Donal Philby