Subject: [Leica] R 19mm vs R24mm
From: "gbicket" <gbicket@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 10:00:07 -0400

Hi Martin Kreiger,

I think I can safely anticipate some of the answers you'll get to the
posting asking about the R24mm.  I have spent time with both on an R8, and
while I think the R19 may 'test' to superior results, in my opinion, the
decision needs to turn on the 'look' you hope to achieve.  With a R21mm in
your bag, do you want to go wider, or will a little narrower field of view
be more handy to you?

The R24 has roots in Leica's affiliation with Minolta from a few years ago,
and has been tainted by that relationship.  I own it, and have been very
pleased with its image quality, color rendition, it's quite sharp, ease of
focusing [for a wide angle], size, and overall ergonomics.  I use it a lot,
and am pleased with what I get.  I have read of lots of negative bias
against the R 24mm, but I think it's quite a good lens.  It flares
contre-jour, but many wide angles do.  Perhaps, as offered by another
LUGger, I got an exceptional example.   I'd buy it again.

That said, the 19mm is in the generally recognized as classic group of Leica
R lenses, along with the R 100 APO, and f4 R 280 APO and a few others, and
is, I agree, truly exceptional.  It's bigger, heavier, and utilizes an
internal filtering mechanism.  It renders outstanding images, beautiful,
accurate color, and because it's wider yet, demands even more care be taken
with focusing, and horizontal, vertical and tilt forward, tilt back
orientation [a grid focusing screen is very handy with this lens].  A
wonderful lens by most accounts.

I am not sure that without test equipment, a user can rate one over the
other, but would yield to the overwhelming favoritism shown the R19 as to
overall image quality.  The question remains whether your eye 'connects'
with the look of shorter, or a bit longer lens.

Enjoy the light.

Greg