Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: WAS: The quint of Leica photog? - GET A LIFE!
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 20:38:55 +0200

I am with Jim (and Ted) all the way here. While I may disagree with aspects of
Jim's original posting, I think we ought to be civilized enough to aim our
posts at the arguments and not at the person. I too have met many LUGgers,
including Jim, and I support the acid test of a post: would you be prepared to
say the same thing to the person face-to-face? Jim and Ted may be two ornery
old farts (just kidding, guys) but they bring a wealth of knowledge and
experience that the rest of us should be grateful for.

Nathan

Jim Brick wrote:

> I personally know dozens of LUGgers. I meet with them over lunch, over
> dinner, visits to the local camera stores, etc.
>
> I met with a dozen LUGgers, including Erwin, at the last Photokina.
>
> I have broken bread with Ted and Irene Grant. A lifelong bond was
> established. We even got Leica to pay the bread bill. No easy feat!!!
>
> I have taught two Leica workshops. All of the students have asked to have
> me back. I have been asked to teach a third. I have been asked to teach a
> Hasselblad workshop. Linhof has asked the same.
>
> I have hosted two BALUG meetings.
>
> Any of you LUGgers that I personally know and/or have personally met think
> I'm degrading and insulting? Please tell me. Don't say anything B.D... :-)
>
> I have just been "purchased" (yesterday) by Agilent Technologies (the new
> Hewlett Packard) because of my a.) digital imaging engineering
> capabilities, and b.) because of my "real" photographic history,
> background, and experience. Certainly not because of my age, 62. I'll pass
> on my new Email address and phone number in a couple of weeks.
>
> As one of the old farts around here, I quite often express my passions, my
> observations, my vision, my opinions about a subject. It always comes from
> my heart. It is never vitriolic.
>
> Why am I going through this laundry list?
>
> Because one person (Austin) out of 800 great passionate, argumentative, yet
> civil LUGgers, continues to spew venom about anything and everything I
> post. I'm hostile. I'm degrading. I'm insulting. There doesn't seem to be
> anything that I can say, no matter how benign, that Austin doesn't read as
> a poison pen statement.
>
> Doug Herr didn't agree with my last long post about the craft of
> photography. But he was civil about it. I have a deep deep respect for Doug
> and his work. And I think he respects me. But we can agree to disagree,
> civilly. It's really easy. Try it Austin, you'll like it.
>
> I'm personally tired of having every word, every syllable, every thought,
> scrutinized into oblivion. My Eudora filter-to-trash list was cleaned out
> since all of the previous LUG annoyances seemed to have moved on. Well...
> it's not vacant anymore. Sorry Austin. I just don't want to read your
> accusations and vitriol anymore. I'm simply tired of being the brunt of
> your... whatever your problem is.
>
> As Ted and I have said for years. Talk on the LUG like the person is
> sitting in front of you. They may be someday.
>
> Jim

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland