Subject: [Leica] Lenses' test for grey rendition in B/W
From: "William Speights" <WSpeights@ntia.doc.gov>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 13:37:12 -0400

Dave Strang Wrote:

>>>I have used Canon L series for over 15 years. I always felt they were as
>>>sharp or sharper
>>>and less contrasty than the Nikon lenses I had available at all larges
>>>aperatures (f2.8 and larger).
>>>At no point was the Nikon glass not good, the Canon glass was just
>>>preferable. Last year I
>>>started using an R5/R7/R8 system with Leica glass and I was amazed. The
>>>negatives I shot
>>>for college ice hockey, using the same film, exposure, developing, and
>>>scanner showed the
>>>Leica images to have better shadow and highlight detail. This made for much
>>>better scans
>>>for the newpaper (which always seemed to f&#@ them up in the press).

>>>The Leica glass rules the Canon L. The non-L Canon glass drops off
>>>appreciably.

>>>Pascal's comment on internal reflections rings home. Leica does a better job
>>>of coating its
>>>lens elements and properly aligning them in manufacture.

All,
As a recent convert to Leica, I agree with Dave re: Canon vs. Leica.  A majority of my work is B&W and I've been using Canon L with various bodies for a number of years and very happy with it.  I really like the features, but I missed the manual-ness of my old F1, so I bought a Leica CL as a lightweight travel camera.  Other than the fact that the camera was really too smal for my hands, the results (especially in B+W) were incredibly sharp and contrasty (the way I like my B+W).  Did a side-by-side comparison (non-sceintific) of same time, subject, film, develop, print, etc and asked my wife which photo she "liked" better.  She doesn't know anything technical about photography, but picked the Leica photo everytime.

Retired the Canon stuff (sold it all on ebay), bought an R7 (kinda miss the AF) and several lenses, and havn't looked back since.  No regrets.  Regardless of what any resolution tests reveal, for me, Leica glass produces more pleasing photos.  Havn't seen as much difference on the chrome side of the story, but have not done any Cibas yet.  Looking for my first M to replace the CL.
Don