Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: The quintessence of Leica photography? - Long response -
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 22:55:19 -0700

I returned to the color darkroom today for the first time in several years!! At
the rental lab.
I used to be a rent by the year member and was in there 2 3 times a week.
Now there's more elbow room with everyone at home playing with thier Epsons!
I had specialized in Black and white and got out of commercial work over the
last 3 or 4 years.
Now I'm back doing commercial work and a client I had done a black and white
location job for now wanted color in front of the clean white backdrop.
After shooting some Polaroids with the Hasselblad ELM I shot a roll of 220 160
VS Portra with the 80mm 2.8 Zeiss Planar on the camera as I had it out anyway.
Afterwards I realized the lens needed to be cleaned but the test negs from the
day before looked sharp enough.
I had eyelashes with full length shots.
Then I shot a second roll of film this time 35mm 160 VS Portra with my M6 and
Leica winder M and the 7 year old 50 Summicron with the detachable hood.
I used Studio strobes against a white backdrop.
I decided to show the clients not only contact sheets but 11x14's before they
even placed their print order.
And I wanted to see how the 80mm 2.8 Zeiss Planar on the Hasselblad stacked up
against our 50 Summicron on 35mm film in terms of 11x14 working results.
And I thought C prints were a much better way of doing this than inkjets which
is putting it mildly.
I don't think inkjets would have told me that much.
I scan my medium format with a 1200x2400 dpi Umax PowerLook III and 35mm stuff
in the 2,700 dpi Nikon LS-2000.
How those numbers translate is over my head but the major consideration to me is
the output. Inkjet spray against a C Print.
Anyway the Leica 11x14's looks "sharper" and in other ways better then the
Hasselblad 11x14's,
The magnifications were different from the two formats favoring of curse medium
format.
About 4.4 X for the medium format and 9X for the 35mm.
But the 35mm looked definitely better anyway!
Now to do it again with a clean Zeiss lens. (Or a dirty Summicron)
Then test the 150 Sonnar against the 90 Elmarit. I used a tripod for both by the
way despite the fast speeds of studio strobes.
Mark Rabiner
I had so many flakes inside that Planar lens that I swear I though I saw a sled
in there with "Rosebud" on it!

Replies: Reply from john <bosjohn@mediaone.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: The quintessence of Leica photography? - Long response -)